Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Return to the Broadway Flea Market

My haul from the 2024 
Broadway Flea Market.
Total spent: $13
Because of work and various other commitments, I had not been to the Broadway Flea Market in many years. I didn't even know it was happening on Sun. Sept. 22 until I saw it announced on FaceBook. I used to go every year and buy old Playbills and have whoever was appearing on Broadway at the time sign my Tony Award Book by Lee Alan Morrow or Cult TV by John Javna. Several of the stars who signed are no longer with us such as Tony Randall, Jose Ferrer and Dr. Ruth Westheimer. The famed sex therapist just happened to be there as a celebrity and I asked to her sign the Tony book even though she had never won or been nominated for one. "And I never will," she giggled as she signed with a Sharpie. 

I had not had an autograph in either book since the 1990s and I had some time before the matinee of the latest Forbidden Broadway I was going to review. I arrived at about 10:30 am and it was a mob scene already. Only one block, 44th between Broadway and Eighth Avenue, was closed to traffic. Even so it was difficult to get to all the tables, there were so many people. On 45th where cars were still driving down the block, it was like the lifeboat deck of the Titanic. 

As I was browsing the theatrical paraphernalia including Playbills, CDs, DVDs, books, posters, costumes, etc., I realized I didn't need any of it. Ten years ago I would have snapped up the interesting odd theater programs for sale such as a regional production of Peter Shaffer's Black Comedy/White Lies starring Tippi Hedren of The Birds and Ronnie Gilbert of The Weavers or a forgotten two-character comedy in summer stock with a young, unknown Michael Douglas and Sandy Duncan. But now I don't know what I'm going to do with all my programs from over 50 years, so I don't want ones from shows I haven't even seen. Plus they're not very valuable, like comic books. 

I almost bought a DVD with special features of Valley of the Dolls and the TV series Elizabeth R with Glenda Jackson, but my resolve was strong and I resisted. I was tempted to spend $30 to wait in line for autographs, but the line was endless and I only really wanted Maryann Plunkett's signature because she was in the Tony Award book (printed in 1987). I used to wait at the stage door for autographs, with COVID I wonder if anyone signs anything anymore.

My final haul was a $2 copy of Lee Grant's memoir (she was in so many trashy films such as Valley of the Dolls and Airport 77, but lots of great ones too), Richard Gilman's rare collection of essays for $1, a Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS Christmas ornament  for $5 (You can never have too many of those), and a Metropolitan Opera tote bag for $5. The button in the picture was free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment