Monday, September 23, 2024

Book Review: The Dutch House

(Bought at Barnes and Noble as a Christmas gift for my mother. I read it when she was finished with it.) I bought Ann Patchett's best-selling novel because I had heard so much about it being a good read. Plus it takes place in the Philadelphia area which is my hometown. This is my first Ann Patchett novel and based on the number of well-received works, I think I can rely on her as a go-to contemporary author when I'm looking for a satisfying story--Anne Tyler, A.M. Holmes,Jonathan Franzen, and John Irving are the others so far. The plot is a little melodramatic and I didn't quite believe the tidy ending, but the characters are sharply drawn and the theme of the past potentially wrecking one's future is strongly delineated. A brother and sister are disinherited from the titular abode and they become obsessed with the house throughout their adult lives. They make questionable choices which lead to difficulties, but do they ultimately find happiness? No spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment