Wednesday, June 22, 2011

'Spider-Man" Mystery Solved

After 44 years I have finally solved the mystery of the Spider-Man lyrics. Back in 1967, there was a Spider-Man cartoon series on ABC I used to watch every week. I knew all the lyrics of the theme song by heart, except one which didn't make any sense to me. In the middle of their description of what a cool guy Spider-Man is, I thought the singers were saying "Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, Welcome friends, he's a yourd, Action is his reward." What the hell is a yourd?, I thought at age 8. A few years later, I listened again and thought it was "Welcome Friends, he's adored."

This past week, I came across a video of Patrick Page, the actor playing the Green Goblin in the Broadway musical version of Spider-Man doing a dramatic reading of the lyrics to the theme song. Finally the words were revealed as "Wealth and fame he's ignored/Action is his reward." Now I can sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment