 |
John Pankow, Kristine Nielsen, Rachel Nicks and Robert Sella in Turning Off the Morning News at McCarter Theater (2018). Credit: T. Charles Erickson |
(Borrowed from Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts): Christopher Durang is one of my favorite playwrights. His plays were marked with an insanely dark humor and veered awfully close to comedy sketches. He passed away in 2024 at 75 after being diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer's Disease and I was thinking of him when I finished Julie Salomon's Wendy Wasserstein bio. They were close friends. His last full-length play Turning Off the Morning News, has yet to be produced in NYC so I was curious about it. It was produced at the McCarter Theater in 2018. In typical Durang fashion, he combines a tragic trend with wild satire. Like too many Americans, Jimmy is deeply depressed and fully armed. He threatens to kill himself and others in a mass shooting. His wife and son attempt to ignore and minimize his dangerous behavior. The neighbors Clifford and Salena aren't much better off. Both are recovering from personal tragedies and live together but are not married or romantically involved. The sixth character Rosalind suffers from multiple skin cancers and walks around with a pillow over her head to avoid exposure to the sun. Darkly funny and scary. Durang's Author's Note is deeply moving as he explains his reaction to our national epidemic of violence. I wish I had seen this production, particularly since Kristine Nielsen who has appeared in several of Durang's plays was in it. I still remember her inspired performance as Mrs. Sizemagraff in Betty's Summer Vacation.
When I found this play at the Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts, I also came across a collection of equally hilarious short Durang plays Naomi in the Living Room and Other Short Plays. These shorter pieces run no more than a few pages each and include contributions to revues, play festivals, TV shows and even a sketch for Carol Burnett and Robin Williams. As with Morning News, Durang's comments are as entertaining as the plays themselves. Among the mad playlets is a funny meeting between the Madwoman of Chaillot and Wallace Shawn's Aunt Dan who each justify their questionable morals.
No comments:
Post a Comment