Monday, July 1, 2024

Biden Debate Debacle, Trump Immunity Decision

It is with great difficulty that I write about the current state of the presidential election. Last Thursday, I had no plans to watch the debate with Biden and Trump. I knew it was going to be unbearable no matter what happened. I couldn't stand to see Trump lying and I feared Biden would appear too old for the job. So I decided to see another form of political theater and attended N/A, Mario Correa's two-character play about Nancy Pelosi and my Congressperson Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. But the reality of the debate was a hundred times worse than my fears. The play was only 80 minutes and it was still light out when it finished at 8:30. By the time I got home, there was still 30 minutes left in the debate and Biden was wobbly, hesitant, appeared confused and spoke in a whisper. He was like a a doddering, tired old man who needed a nap. Trump continued to lie his ass off, but no one was paying attention to that since that's what he always does. 

I was heartened by Biden's speech the next day in Raleigh, NC where he was energetic and focused. But then I heard reports that he is on point only during the day and at night he tends to slow down. A shockingly bad poll followed with over 70 percent saying they didn't think Biden was mentally fit to for his office. Of course, they were not asked if they still vote for him or not given the alternative.

Cries for Biden to step aside started right away and have intensified. Today's Supreme Court ruling that Trump has some immunity in the Jan. 6 case further confounds the picture. Scotus did not say which of his acts are official and which are not, leaving that to the district court, further delaying the case. A delay is considered a win for Trump. It's obvious to me that scheming to put in fake electors and encouraging an insurrection are NOT official acts and he should be tried for them.

But Trump's sentencing in the hush money case is coming up next week. Hopefully, it will be severe, but I have a feeling there will be no jail time.

Things don't look good. Frankly, Biden should have dropped out a year ago so a viable Democratic candidate could emerge. If I were an average voter, paying more attention to prime-time Let's Make a Deal than to politics and having no convictions, I would say, "Look, I don't like Trump, but Biden is a tired old man. At least Trump is awake. I don't care that he slept with Stormy Daniels and paid her money to shut up about it. And so what if he kept some documents and stored them in the shower. What difference does it make. I'll hold my nose and vote for the convicted felon. Or I'll stay home and watch The Price Is Right." 

I have a bad feeling Biden is not going to drop out. Maybe it won't make a difference, but I tremble to think what happens if he goes through with another debate in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment