Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Trending Today: Brubeck and NY Post Cover

Today's trends in my little digital world: reactions to Dave Brubeck's death and the NY Post's front page photo of a man about to be run over by a subway train. I listen to Brubeck's iconic Take Five all the time, it's especially lovely to play in the car radio as you're driving on a colorful autumn day.

The Internet is alive with opinion on the New York Post's decision to put the photo of a  subway train about to kill someone on the front page and the moral question of the photographer who took the shot. Should he have tried to save the guy who was shoved onto the tracks moments before or was he just doing his job of recording the news and not interfering? Could he have saved the victim? The photog was on the Today Show this morning defending himself, saying it all happened so fast there was no way to rescue the person and the photographer thought he could warn the train with his flashbulb. I don't know if I buy that, but I don't know what I would have done. I like to think I would have at least tried to save the gentleman, but I probably would have been frozen with fear. The scary thing is I'm in that station all the time (49th street on the R) since it's in the theater district. Even if I were a professional photographer, I don't think I'd be able to take a picture in that moment. If I were close enough I might have tried to pull him up, but who knows?

Several internet people are also making the comparison of the Pulitzer Prize winning photographer Kevin Carter who took a shot of starving little girl in the Sudan menaced by a vulture. This is a little different. Carter could have gotten the shot and then helped the girl or at least scaring off the vulture without compromising his journalistic integrity.

UPDATES: My news dispatch on the closings of The Anarchist and Scandalous was posted on NewYork.com and my review of The Acting Company's Of Mice and Men was posted late yesterday on Backstage.

The Mystery of Edwin Drood (which I finally caught up with last night at Studio 54) and Christopher Durang's Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike (which I loved, Chuck Schumer was in the audience) both announce extensions.

No comments:

Post a Comment