Friday, August 5, 2011

Alaskan Vacation Part Three

GLACIER BAY--I'm paying 75 freaking cents a minute for Internet on this cruise ship, so I will be brief. It's Friday and the second full day on our cruise in Alaska. Afetr the last post, we travelled from McKinley National Park to Denali National Park by bus. It was raining heavily in the morning and I was depressed because of the weather, but it cleared up and we had a lovely day in the park, seeing a bunch of caribous. The lodge was like a train station with hundreds of Princess Cruise passengers coming and going. The next day--Wed.--we boarded a scenic train to return to Anchorage for the sea portion of the trip. The ride was ten hours! But enjoyable. We passed through Wassilla again and were informed it was the Duct Tape Capital of the world. They have a Duct Tape dance where everyone dresses in duct tape. Why does this not surprise me?

We boarded the ship in a pouring rain, had dinner at the endless buffet and I saw the welcome show with a ventriloquist who was OK, but not great. Thursday was a relaxing day, but still rainy and cloudy. We played trivia with fellow passengers and lost! Damn! I have been thinking about winning a trivia tournament since my last cruise. I soaked in the hot tub, relaxed and read. We were supposed to see a glacier, but it was too foggy. After dinner we went to the Lounge for another trivia game, but they had advertised it as 50s and 60s trivia--I thought it would be politics, TV, popular cuture, news, etc.; it turned out to be 50s and 60s rock and roll trivia. I should have complained about the false advertising. Of course we lost again. I knew the names of the songs, but not the singers.

Today we sailed through Glacier Bay and saw plenty of glaciers including a huge one called Margery--the same name as my mother. When huge chunks of ice fall off glaciers, it's called calving. I saw Margery calve three times. The sound of all that ice hitting the water was like an explosion. Also sighted were an eagle and sea lion lazing on an ice floe--not together, separate ice floes. On the way out of the bay, we saw several whales. 

No comments:

Post a Comment