Volumes read: Laughing Wild and Baby with the Bathwater.
Miss Witherspoon and Mrs. Bob Crachit's Wild Christmas Binge are collected in one volume. I saw the former at Playwrights Horizons. The latter debuted regionally but has yet to appear in NYC. It imagines Mrs. Crachit getting sick and tired of the poverty and misery that surrounds her and she goes off a tear. I wish I had seen Kristin Nielsen do this role.
The Idiots Karamatzov (co-written with Albert Innaurto): A zany romp through Russian and all Western literature. Durang co-wrote this with Albert Innaurto when they were both students at Yale Drama School. I would love to see this on stage. On the page, it's pretty bizarre and unless you are familiar with references to Dostoevsky, Hemingway, Joyce, O'Neill, Anais Nin and Djuna Barnes, it can be heavy going. I've been rereading a lot of Durang's plays and he's always funny. This is one is not a laugh riot, but a curious addition to his oeuvre.
Durang Durang, six one-acts performed together Off-Broadway including parodies of Tennessee Williams and Sam Shepard.
3 Short Plays: The Nature and Purpose of the Universe, Death Comes to Us All, Mary Agnes (a satire of "well-made" plays where a family gathers as the old cruel patriarch is dying and regrets are expressed), and 'dentity Crisis.

No comments:
Post a Comment