Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Book Reviews: Why Torture Is Wrong and the People Who Love Them and Other Political Plays; Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike

(Borrowed from NY Public Library at 40th St.): After reading some other Christopher Durang plays, I found these two books at the public library on 40th Street in Manhattan. Why Torture Is Wrong exhibits Durang's savage dark humor and Vanya, probably his best work, is gentler in its satire but just as funny. The first play was written at the height of George W. Bush's war on terror when torture was deemed justifiable if it meant protecting the US from terrorist attacks. Durang viciously parodies the American position, but also mercilessly mocks extremism on the other side. No one is safe from his satirical sword (OK, I stole that phrase from the Dick Van Dyke Show). I remember seeing the play at the Public Theater and laughing in shock and disbelief. The Torture volume also contains excerpts from Durang's Sex and Longing which played Broadway in 1995. The author was unsatisfied with the play overall and it has not been published in its entirety. But he did like some of the scenes and they are reprinted here in keeping with the theme of political plays. In Sex and Longing, Durang's drama school classmate Sigourney Weaver starred as the sexually addicted Lulu, modeled on the character from Berg's opera. The religious right's obsession with censorship and sexuality comes in for a beating. Dana Ivey was brilliant as a repressed Senator's wife. I don't remember how the play ended but I do recall laughing. The collection also included several short plays also published in Naomi in the Living Room and Other Short Plays.

Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike combines dark humor with a more humane tone. Durang called this play "Chekhov in a blender." Elements of all four major Chekhov plays combine in this wild comedy which also contains pathos and tragedy. The play opened at Lincoln Center's Mitzi Newhouse and then transferred to Broadway, winning every major award including the Tony and New York Drama Critics Circle Award. This is Durang's most successful play because the characters are more than just bizarre cartoons. I'm happy that he had a big hit.

Rereading Durang led me to find my old paperback copy of Christopher Durang Explains It All for You from 1982 which I bought for $2.95. (It was in my storage bin) This volume contains six of his shorter plays and was printed when his Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All for You was a hit Off-Broadway. These are all pretty dark and include murder, dismemberment, and abuse. But they're all funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment