Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day Thoughts

I just got back from voting and it was exciting to see the long lines at my Queens, NY polling place. Fortunately, everything went relatively smoothly and I was able to fill out my ballot and scan it within a half-hour. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Just this weekend we were watching MSNBC and there were stories of chaos and confusion in Ohio and Florida, two states where the Republican governors are seeking to suppress and curtail early voting. What a coincidence that these are two of the most vital states for either candidates and if Obama or Romney loses either or both, they lose the election.

Side note: I made up for the non-stop political coverage over the weekend by indulging in a reality TV orgy on Monday night. Thanks to DVR I watched The Amazing Race, The Fabulous Beekman Boys, Project Runway All-Stars, and for a dose of scripted sitcom, The Big Bang Theory (that's really the only sitcom I watch these days, I am on the fence about The New Normal).

Strangely, a lot of anti-Obama SuperPAC TV commercials were running in the upstate NY area during Saturday Night Live. Kind of strange because NY is not in play, but solidly for Obama. They probably have spent the money on airtime already and need to use it or lose it. One commercial makes the case that Obama has not helped the economy and it's time for a change. It doesn't even mention Romney, just this nice-looking white woman talking to the camera about how she voted for Obama before and things are just awful, so the implication is it's OK to vote for Romney, he'll fix everything, and he can't be any worse. It's this fantasy they are selling. The economy is improving, it is getting better, but if Mittens gets in, corporations will run rampant, regulations will be softened, and we'll all be working at Walmart. We'll see what happens tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment